HVAC sales are never easy in any economy, but there are always tried and true ways to go about selling maintenance and services. And it doesn’t involve being a pushover or being pushy.
Here are just a few tips from CBS’ interactive business network on how to sell anything — including heating and cooling services and packages:
1. Don’t waste their time. There is nothing more annoying than a salesperson who wastes a potential customers’ time — especially when they are undoubtedly busy. Put yourself in their shoes, and take a hint.
2. Make sense. When pitching to your potential clients, it’s important to watch for body language or the “aha” moment when they get you. Try pitching in a way that makes sense universally, not just you.
3. Be unique. What are you selling that nobody else is? Since you are competing with other HVAC dealers, perhaps it’s a preventative maintenance package that offers small bonuses, or an energy efficient system installment of the latest technology not available just anywhere.
4. Be kind. Go into a sales pitch or call with a genuine interest in their business or home comfort. If you’re truly interested in their needs, it will show. If you’re not, don’t expect kindness in return — much less, a referral.
5. Ask for feedback. It never hurts to simply ask what your potential client thinks about what you’re offering. It’s invaluable, and increases your chance of engaging in conversation.
Tell us: What sales techniques have you used to sell your big idea?